Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Back in England... Future Uncertain

It's been a while since I last put a post up and this lull has coincided with my transition back to England. Amazingly, after two years at a stretch in India, I have not had any adjustment issues (at least, nothing serious). I have been gorging on my mum's fantastic food, propounding my theories about the world to anyone who cares to listen (and those who don't), reading Complexity Economics, immersing myself in blogs and the internet and trying to get a sense of what's going on and how it all fits together. This is my hobby and I think I'm onto something!

The implications of the financial mess that is slowly gripping the economy of the world is taking its time to really loom into the consciousness of the general public. I have read so many blogs and articles on the matter in the last few weeks that I would hardly know where to start pointing anyone who wants to see where things might be headed... All the same, here are some pointers:

And here's a quote from another:

Alan Greenspan has finally decided to admit, you know, this may be one of those once-a-century biggies. [...] There are seven sharks in the tank with the economy.

  • And the first is financialization because we’re so dependent on this industry that’s sort of half lost its marbles.
  • The second is that you have this huge buildup of debt, absolutely unprecedented anywhere in the world.
  • The third is you’ve now got home prices collapsing.
  • The fourth is you’ve got global commodity inflation building up.
  • The fifth is you’ve got flawed and deceptive government economics statistics.
  • The sixth is that you’ve got what they call peak oil where the world is, to some extent, running out of oil. So it’s not just commodity inflation, it’s a shortage of oil.
  • And then the last thing is the collapsing dollar.

Now, whenever you get this sort of package in one decade, you got a big one. And when Greenspan says it’s a once a century, I think it’s another variation but on a par with the Thirties.

– Kevin Phillips, in a conversation with Bill Moyers

Back to the grounded stuff. None of this bodes well for those who are looking for much comfort in the times ahead. I can see food is going to be a major issues - as is heating, transportation and the general absence of electricity. Would there be a free-for-all or would there be a re-discovery of real community as David Pollard proposes in this fable. Hard to say. I for one have already pledged to grow vegetables for my parents should the need arise!

But since returning from some fascinating community development work in India - which has given me some profound insights into the very essence of 'community' - I have found myself wondering... Do we have community over here in the UK? We're all so disconnected from all the things we depend on - food, fuel, shelter... A few farmers own most of the land - would they share it with us if we needed it? In exchange for work on the fields? As bonded labourers? Or would it be run as a community farm? Silly speculation or serious questions? Who knows?

While I continue to ponder these questions, I am also getting ready to go and do my Masters degree, long a source of confusion as I wonder whether it can be worth the cost. At least the subject rocks: power, participation and social change. What i learn may well be directly applicable to the kinds of challenges that we are going to come up against in the years ahead. For example, I will be learning in depth how to work with groups of people to bring about change in a way that is empowering for everyone.

But then again, if the unthinkable scenario really does unfold, where will that leave me? Will I be able to grow food, make clothes, heal myself and my family if we get ill, etc.? Will I have the relationships that I need with the people around me in my community? Will the skills that I possess or learn be valued by those around me?

At the moment, the work that I have been doing in India is backed by money and I facilitate a process through which that money gets spent in ways that support positive, citizen-led social change. This makes it easy for me to give the community the feeling that I have something that they need and so the process of community building becomes easier... I also have a position and a title that makes clear my role as a facilitator of change. But here in my village, I have none of that? For what am I known? Perhaps almost nothing? What skills can I report to offer? Facilitation? Community Development? Leadership building? Understanding how people interact and relate and how change happens? How to use participatory methods for decision-making? Who's going to elect me as a facilitator? Will people trade food for these things?

This all makes me feel that I would really need a different set of skills altogether! If I should want to put any of my present skills in practice I would still need something more than this that would help to bring people together and leave me in a position where I would be able to do facilitation, to host the process. Maybe just inviting people would be enough?! Is this wishful thinking? One idea that cropped up was trying to set up a community farm. Taking it up as a project in community building... More than anything, this all points at the urgent need to set about reweaving community and making the foundations of that community sustainable and self-reliant insofar as possible...

Whatever, happens, I am quite sure that we live in fascinating times and to be honest I am more excited than scared.

On that note, I would like to share these words from Doug at Footprints in the wind as I get ready for bed:

Footprints in the Windsm # 891

We have always expanded our
Confidence
Intellect
Vision
Courage &
Reach
By gathering
With each other
How much we need to
Now


Please pass it on.

© c 2008, Learning Works, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Easy reprint permissions: 574/291-0022, or by e-mail to mailto:Doug AT FootprintsInTheWind.com. Back issues available at http://www.FootprintsintheWind.com

No comments: