Thursday, June 26, 2008

...indeed, the journey's only just begun!

This appreciative inquiry thing is rather interesting. Although I had the sense that I wasn't quite managing to do what I ought to be doing, I think that I somehow managed to pull loose ends together and tie them up with a neat little bow. Thanks are due to the appreciative commons through which various ideas about how to present what had come out were made available. The feedback I have gotten so far on the appreciative inquiry and the presentation I made based on it, has been, for the most-part, very positive. Not only the (verbal) feedback though… People seem to have a little bit more spring in their step - though of course its far too early to tell whether (a) this is just because of my own perception; and (b) it is going to last.

In any case, some reflections. First, although I obsessed about what I was doing, it seemed a little bit too easy. It seemed as though I didn't have to do anything. Now, this is also nonsense - because I was working until midnight for several days during the run-up to the annual camp… But that was also due to other reasons.

Once the data had come in and once we had done our group work of analysing the data and converting it into themes and values with their quotes and stories to back them up, it was just a matter of figuring out the provocative propositions. I feel that I didn't do this properly. Somehow, it seemed to be too much a matter of me just piecing the statements together, one after the other… Yes, I did spend a night in the office with some of my workgroup looking at these statements but the word-smithing was mostly me… and that felt like a problem at the time.

Anyway, the first time it got air-space was at the meeting of the sanchalak mandal (the executive committee) meeting - the day before the camp was due to start. It was generally appreciated but there were some tensions and questions: the expected ones - where is the negative stuff? Why focus just on the positive? But you haven’t told us how we are performing in relation to these values (which I very, very clearly stated was in no way my objective whatsoever)? And all the associated points that back up the idea of dwelling on problems… (and the image - shown above - taken from Yes!andSpace (hat tip) didn't seem to help so much as aggravate the idea that things were one-sided, too positive… it triggered the response: "if we only focus on the positive and future things, we are not learning from history - so we will end up just repeating past mistakes" - which indicates that the whole concept of the appreciative inquiry had not been properly digested by the audience).

I tried an array of methods for explaining the principle and ended up using the kind of analogy that I don't usually feel comfortable using in front of people in high posts (because I worry that they will be degrading). I said: "If I want to know how to get to Delhi from here and you tell me - 'don't go to Ahmedabad, don't go to Kota, don't go to Jaisalmer, don't go to Bhopal' and so on it doesn’t really make it much easier for me. However, if you tell me - 'this is the road to Delhi' then I can set off along it more easily and with greater confidence." Which seemed to work a little - though I didn't ask for feedback to confirm this.

Anyway, I conceded enough on the basis of our discussions to incorporate a question that would give people the space to talk about what Mustafa (on of the structure consultants) called 'the shadow behind the values'… And this was a very interesting part of the whole event for me. Things were happening fast, there were pots and pans banging in the background (so it was necessary to make quite a lot of effort just to hear each other) and we'd just eaten ice-cream (which was very nice indeed). Everyone had just been sitting in the presentation looking and listening (to varying extents). And now we had to talk about performance in relation to the values.

It took almost one hour to get the group to move out of the comfortable silence on the topic of where we were failing to live the values. It took coaxing. It took trust-building, no doubt made more difficult by the presence of Sachin - a representative from PLAN who funds us. To get around this I eventually got the bright idea of getting Sachin to share his own experiences from PLAN. When it came up that they've been having their own challenges (all organisations do y'know!) people got a little bit more open.

After wrestling with conceptual clarity and getting over the fact that it isn't easy to talk about these things - especially as they may be personal, we got into a fairly heated discussion about the values. Some individuals became a little bit too garam and had to get up and cool off. Others sat cold as stones. Various stories came up of ways that leadership had not been sensitive, ways that the organisational system wasn't supporting workers' contribution to change, ways that there wasn't openness (of which the one hour it took to open up was the most striking example)…

The energy was fairly tense. I was doing some fairly active facilitation - though I can't recall many of the specifics - but almost as much energy as went into opening the discussion to the deep dark well of 'what ain't right' went into trying to pull the group back out to the world of 'what we gotta do then'… Eventually we did this and ended up with some suggestions that we then pooled with four other groups who had been talking on the same subject. We were able to compile together from across the various groups into a presentation that pretty much captured everything that need to be captured. This got presented the following morning and seemed to go down relatively well… This is basically what it recommended at the end:

How to take the values forward:
  • Start with yourself: be the change that you want to see
  • Use the values as a basis for staff performance evaluation
  • Create time and space for dialogue on these values amongst staff
  • Improve organisational systems so that they support the practice of these values
  • Establish a system for grievance redressal involving staff from all levels of the organisation
  • Take this conversation forwards
I suppose this means we are at least thinking in the right direction…? Of course, there's a lot more fleshing out to be done... Given the discussion we had the following day (mentioned at the end of my last post), I suppose, means that we are actually doing something about it all? And to think this is only the beginning!

One of my lingering questions though... was the negative patch useful and important? Did it add or subtract from the discussions we had? This is something I will need to ponder on and explore as I continue on my adventures!

3 comments:

Geoff Brown said...

Hi Andre

I found your post very familiar. I have had similar struggles and questions of Appreciative Inquiry. I struggle with some the language and as an experienced facilitator I have never moved beyond the dream stage. I find the first 2 stages very useful ... the latter 2 I can't seem to work out.

I have moved to another "appreciative" model known as Solutions Focus. (www.thesolutionsfocus.co.uk). Paul Z Jackson is a great thinker I had the pleasure of doing a day training in Melbourne with him.

You should add Viv McWaters (www.vivmcwaters.com.au) to you list of blogs to visit. Here is a post she did that paints a quick sketch of solutions focus - http://vivmcwaters.com.au/2007/09/21/solutions-focus-to-the-rescue/

And here - http://vivmcwaters.com.au/2007/12/03/solutions-focus-workshop/

Look forward to future connections.

Warm Regards

Geoff

Andre said...

Thanks Geoff, for your thoughtful comments and pointers. I have been reading Viv McWater's blog for more than a month now but somehow forgot to add her to my blog roll (though hadn't come across the posts you mentioned)!

One of the interesting ideas that I came across since writing that post was Dave Snowden's theory that it is better to focus on worst practice than best practice... The relevant article can be found here.

It left me even more confused than I was but also got me hooked on the idea of stories, as is evident from my later blog post 'Full Circle? Maybe more of a spiral!'

I'm hoping to be able to take some of this story work (positives and negatives) forward in the coming year as part of the process of facilitating organisational change... should be quite fascinating...

Geoff Brown said...

Hi again ... on Dave Snowden's complexity stuff, check out this little sketchcast summary from the Anecdote boys - http://www.johnniemoore.com/blog/archives/002035.php

Cheers

Geoff