Friday, October 3, 2008

Future Uncertain 2

After many months I made a return visit to www.opendemocracy.net and read this, an article by Paul Rogers presenting two scenarios for 2020.

The first is based on a business-as-usual kind of a story. To read it is to wonder whether bringing children into this world is the right thing to do. It is so horrific and yet so possible, that it hardly bears thinking about - except that if we don't acknowledge the risk, we might forget to do what we need to do to avoid it.

The second imagines that we really get our act together and a commitment to positive change at a global level is fulfilled by leaders. It seems just about liveable - but not easy - and can be thought as 'just about making it'... The contrast between the two, with the former seeming so upsettingly more likely than the latter, left me mind-blown.

I still have no idea where we are really headed and what that means for the lives of common people. All I know is that I want to be ready for anything, holding within me hope and love and the readiness to help humanity create a new reality that is fresh, liberating and wholesome - whether radically, out of the ashes of what we leave behind or as a gentle transformation of our existing systems. But really, now is a time to think and to act like never before.

Meanwhile, I thought I would share this resource (yet to be fully developed and populated!) that I came across (hat tip to Michael Bauwens of Peer-to-Peer Foundation - see many of their posts in my shared items box on the right - for this post, itself a great read) that might end up yielding some fruits in the quest for a better, more sustainable world :) Clearly just sitting around thinking will not get us very far!

No comments: